Submit an appeal
You can submit an appeal to the Office of Student Financial Services SAP committee. Information on how to submit an appeal is included in the SAP notification email. To help complete your appeal, you should schedule an appointment with your academic advisor in order to develop an academic plan for the upcoming academic year that will enable you to meet the minimum SAP requirements.
A complete SAP appeal includes the following components:
- Your completed appeal form, including information from your advisor when necessary.
- A typed statement explaining the extenuating circumstances that contributed to your unsatisfactory academic progress during all periods of enrollment regardless of whether or not you received financial aid for those terms. Your statement should include details on steps you have taken to be successful moving forward or what you have done to address your extenuating circumstances.
- Documentation supporting your statement, which may include:
- For a medical condition: documentation may include a statement from your physician, therapist or medical professional, hospital discharge or appointment summaries, etc.
- For the death of family member: a copy of the death certificate or obituary.
- For a divorce or separation: a court document or third party who can verify the situation.
- For military service: official military orders.
The Office of Student Financial Services SAP Committee will review your appeal. Decisions are made after careful evaluation of your unique circumstances, Federal Title IV regulations, and IUPUC guidelines. You’ll be notified of our decision at your IU email account. You can expect a decision within 15 business days. During this time, you’re responsible for any tuition and fees (including late fees) that are charged to your account.
2022-23 aid year (Fall 2022 - Summer 2023)
2023-24 aid year (Fall 2023 - Summer 2024)
Appeal priority dates:
- Fall: August 1
- Spring: December 15
- Summer: June 15
Submit your appeal form and documentation as soon as possible. Appeals received after this date will be reviewed. However, aid may not be approved for appeals submitted after the end of a term.
Submitted Appeals will be reviewed within 15 business days of receipt.