After the automatic W deadline only drops with documentable serious, extenuating circumstances will be routed to instructors. Once documentation is submitted to the Registrar’s office it will be up to your instructor to give you either a W or an F. You must be passing the course at the time of the drop for a grade of W to be assigned.
Examples of serious, extenuating circumstances include:
- Medical/hospital stay,
- Psychological/emotional issues,
- Death of family or friend,
- Issues with a class/faculty (this has to be a well-documented situation through the IUPUC Dean of Students),
- Other major life event that severely impacts the student/family.
Examples of documentation include:
- Doctor’s note on letterhead indicating that you are unable to complete the semester due to medical/psychological issues (include dates),
- Hospital admittance papers,
- Legal documents (i.e. police reports, eviction notice),
- Obituary in the paper/funeral home site,
- Counseling services or CAPS,
- Other official documentation not listed above