How to Keep Your Grants & Loans

Make satisfactory academic progress

We review your academic progress at least once a year. It’s determined by your enrollment in all previous terms (including those in which you withdrew completely from classes), whether or not you received financial aid.

If you are a nondegree student who is eligible for financial aid, you are expected to meet the same standards as an undergraduate student in order to keep your aid.

You must meet the following requirements to make satisfactory academic progress:

You must maintain a cumulative program GPA of at least the minimum required by your academic program. 

Transfer hours from outside of the IU system do not count toward the program GPA. Exception: courses from Purdue are used in the calculation of program GPA for students enrolled in Purdue degree programs.

In order to make satisfactory academic progress, you have to successfully complete no less than 67 percent of your total attempted courses. If you received a grade of W, F, FX, or I in a course, you did not successfully complete that course.

Transfer credit hours are calculated as hours successfully completed.

You must complete your degree in no more than the following number of enrolled credit hours:

  • Bachelor’s: 120 credit hours
  • Master’s: 60 credit hours

We’ll notify you if you’re making unsatisfactory academic progress. You can also check One.IU to see your status. If you’ve been flagged as making unsatisfactory progress, you can file an academic progress appeal.